How to Download and Install Net Surveillance Software ActiveX Control
Net Surveillance Software is a web-based application that allows you to view and control your security cameras from any browser that supports ActiveX controls. ActiveX controls are small apps that allow websites to provide content such as videos and games. They also let you interact with content like toolbars and stock tickers when you browse the web[^2^]. However, these apps can sometimes malfunction, or give you content that you don't want. In some cases, these apps might be used to collect info from your PC, damage info on your PC, install software on your PC without your agreement, or let someone else control your PC remotely[^2^]. Therefore, you should only download and install ActiveX controls from trusted sources.
In this article, we will show you how to download and install the Net Surveillance Software ActiveX control on a Windows PC in Internet Explorer for a Smart Security Solutions NVR or DVR direct from a PC on the local area network. This method is based on a YouTube video by Smart Security Solutions[^1^] and a forum post by Tech Support Guy[^3^]. You can also watch the video or visit the forum for more details and troubleshooting tips.
Download and install dvrcenter.com/ocx/Active.exe. This is a setup file for the ActiveX control.
Go to C:\\Windows and create a directory named 'NetSurveillance'.
Download NetSurveillance.zip from the following link and extract its contents to C:\\Windows\\NetSurveillance. This is a zip file that contains some files needed for the ActiveX control to work properly.
Run 'install.bat' with administrator privileges. This is a batch file that will register the ActiveX control on your system.
Open Internet Explorer and go to the web address of your NVR or DVR. You should see a prompt to install the ActiveX control. Click 'Install' and follow the instructions.
After the installation is complete, you should be able to view and control your security cameras from the web interface of Net Surveillance Software.
Note: If you are unable to change ActiveX settings, you might not have permission to do so and you should check with your system administrator. You can also adjust ActiveX settings in Internet Explorer by following these steps[^2^]:
- In Internet Explorer, select the Tools button , and then select Internet options.
- On the Security tab, select Custom level, and then under ActiveX controls and plug-ins, do one the following:
- Allow Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls by selecting Enable.
- Allow Internet Explorer to Display video and animation on a webpage that doesn't use external media player by selecting Enable.
- Allow Internet Explorer to Download signed ActiveX controls by selecting Enable, or Prompt if you want to be notified each time this happens.
- Allow Internet Explorer to Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins by selecting Enable, or Prompt if you want to be notified each time this happens.
- Allow Internet Explorer to Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting by selecting Enable, or Prompt if you want to be notified each time this happens.
- Select OK, and then select OK again.
net surveillance software activex download